Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard dye sealer

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by DalmerM, Oct 30, 2002.

1. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    My dyed black hardwood fingerboard turns my fingers black when I play. What is a good sealer or dye to stop this? I'm just trying to make a cheap bass a little better without spending much on it.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Eventually it should stop doing that. Even ebony boards give back some of the dye after you get a planing and the board gets inked, but after a week or so of heavy playing this goes away.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Try a coat of Watco Danish Oil. Follow the instructions on the back of the can; it's very easy. You should let it dry overnight. If this doesn't work, Minwax Co. makes a Wood Hardener solution that seals well. However, it's more toxic, and a bit fussy to use. Get it at your local home improvement store.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would think that finishes and sealers would at least change the sound, if not make a mess.

5. Yo, Nick:
    Wouldn't you agree that when directing someone to a procedure that involves removing all the strings, they should mark the exact position of the bridge feet, keep the bass on its back, and put some weight on the top to keep the soundpost from falling?

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ray-
    Applying Watco Danish Oil on a maple fingerboard would not significantly degrade the sound of Dalmer's "cheap bass". It will, however, seal the maple, keep out finger dirt, and lessen the abrasive action of his strings. It's a great product that dries quickly, is easy to control, and is being used by pro luthiers from Alberquerque to Boston.
    Don-
    My quick-tip reply was meant as resourceful information only. I assumed Dalmer was not going to tear down his setup with "blinders" on. Next time I will add a preface to my advice.

Thanks, fellers!

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    k -- I was just envisioning, using an analogy to abbreviate -- a situation like painting a concrete floor wherein the traveled areas are going to wear differently than the rest and it'll start really looking like hell after a bit. Added to this is my experience with what rubbing a little super glue into a deadish spot on an ebony board will do.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And super glue on an ebony board will....????

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's a dead spot on my current fingerboard -- right on the low F. I determined that it is not the bass because this didn't exists with the old fingerboard. I determined that it wasn't pitch-related (i.e., setup) because the fingered note was dead no matter where the string was tuned. The string did vibrate there -- it just didn't make much sound. Shank rubbed a little superglue on the board on that spot and it didn't completely fix the problem, but it did improve it significantly.

I've also found, later, that the Ebola-gatos that I've had on for a few months further improved this. Not sure if it's the lighter gauge string or what.