1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerboard extensions (on the high side)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JtheJazzMan, May 5, 2010.

1. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Hi, just wondering if the solo extensions on the top strings that you see on Edgar meyers bass etc can attached to an existing squared-off FB rather than buying a completely new FB.

I am considering attaching an extra bit of ebony on the end with some type of thin and strong dowel reinforced butt joint, and strong glue such as epoxy.

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It might work, but you'd be much better off removing the board and sanding a wedge shape to the underside of the end - matching to the extension piece, and gluing it up with hide glue. It would be much easier (and safer) to make the joint and get the contour properly matched while the board is off the bass, and a wedge joint will hold better, whatever glue you use.
    - just my opinion.

3. Yes.
    No board removal.
    Pic in here. Purple heart added for historic purposes.
    Under Paul Warburton.....Joesph Bohmann 5 string.

http://www.thetalkbasses.com/

EDIT: I use it for pizz purposes.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Paul,
    Damn, that's a beautiful instrument!

5. Thanks, man.
    But, what do you think of my bass? ;)

Sorry. Yes, I'm lucky to have had over 33 years with it.
    But, sure the extended board isn't really a big deal if it's done correctly. I had it done so I could pluck down closer to the bridge for some color here and there with the attack. I do find myself wandering up there for some extra high notes too, though. I gave up arco on this bass to keep it clean of rosin for my plucker.
    If you look at about where my second finger is plucking....that's where the extension starts.

6. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Bitter beer face Paul? :D

7. Why did I know this would happen? :D
    Naw, Cody. Don't touch it any more. Just tryin' to find beat 1.

EDIT: That's from a recent gig with the great Art Lande/PW duo. Recorded. Finding beat 1 with Art can be painful. (for both of us).

8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    In the other direction, aesthetically speaking, I saw photos of a fingerboard add-on that Boston luthier and bassist Michael Hartery did. After he filled and sanded it, the addition was nearly invisible. I can't find a photo on his website, but it was a pretty impressive blending job.

9. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Just to bump this thread....can any major changes in tone be expected or is this a minor addition?

I seem to remember a chapter in Chuck Traegers book which covered the concept of the resonant frequency of the FB. I dont own the book, I only got a look through it once though.

10. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    I believe it debatable that Traeger's theory of mode-matching really makes THAT big of a difference. I don't think the additional mass at the end of the board is going to make much difference that a little tailwire tweaking wouldn't take care of.

11. I guess that you're asking if the extra weight of the extension on the end of the board in itself changes the tonal quality of the bass. No.
    Again, what it's done for me is that I can pluck up closer to the bridge to get more of a point to the tone if I want that. there's about 5 more inches board on the G side and about 2 1/2 on the low B side. That little 2 1/2" gives me room to clip the webbing of my right hand or my thumb, when plucking with two fingers, up closer towards the bridge, allowing for a harder pull if needed. It's also allowed me to use less amp volume because I can pull more acoustic sound outta the bass itself. I find it very handy with louder drummers and it feels really stable when getting locked into a good time groove.
    And again, I would warn you if you are going to be doing some arco you'll run into rosin issues on your plucking fingers if you intend to use it for my stated purposes. That's why I won't use the bow on this bass.

12. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Yeah its actually used for a lot of arco. Its so I can reach a few high notes I often want to go for .... but arent there.

Its also only about 5cm long on the treble side since I was concerned about getting too close to the bow.

Also not ebony, its Australian Ironbark. I found a nice ebony trunk cut lengthways into a large board...for $2000.

Once you finish and lightly oil it, it should be a nice deep red.

FBextension.

13. Now you tell me. I wouldn't have gone through all that jazz pizz stuff if you had said that in the begining.
    With the name JtheJazzMan and the fact that your Profile lists you as a jazz player I assumed that you were,....uh, a jazz player primarily interested in the pizz value of the extension.

14. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    But I use the bow all the time in jazz!

Plus it should provide an extra bit of leverage for the thumb as long as I get that join imperceptibly smooth.

15. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    And yeah maybe I should update my title.

16. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Another question for the luthiers:

Im carving out another piece, and I am wondering if its ideal to make a curved piece that matches the natural curvature of the tree rings as close as possible?

Does that have any strength pro/cons or does it affect how well the wood can be finished to a hard flat surface?

17. Thats a gorgeous looking bass Paul! Can we see some more pictures? I am thinking of getting my board extended too! I do not slap but if I did I'd be a little scared of slapping the board! What is your take on that?

18. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    I think that as long af the grain follows the board length you should not worry. You're starting to split hairs here. Has anyone heard of fingerboard blanks being cut to match the tree rings?

19. Just click on the link in my post #3. Some more of me playing it down in the "Off topic" forum under "What do we Talkbass double bassists all look like." (you have to go through the pages). Sorry about the OT.
    No, it won't damage a board that is healthy and well glued to do some slapping.

EDIT: if you wanna hear my bass, go here and click on my name down toward the bottom of the list and then click on the clips. http://www.talkingblues.net/talkinbass.html
    And +1 on what Robobass said.

20. So, it is safe to get an ext. for slappers too. I had a listen Paul, hey man what kind of pickup did you use???? I have heard some double bass sound in my life but your bass is unbelievably orgasmic!! I nearly had a fit while listening to Boplicity, and the hair on my arm stood up from the joy I have felt. Bravo!!! I cant wait to hear all of the posted songs!!!!!!!!!! If a grizzly bear heard the growl of your bass it would definitely think that it was mating season because that is one huge and sexy sound mate!!
    Tone
    PS: silly question Paul but what is OT?

EDIT: if you wanna hear my bass, go here and click on my name down toward the bottom of the list and then click on the clips. http://www.talkingblues.net/talkinbass.html
    And +1 on what Robobass said.[/QUOTE]