Fingerboard fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blackreverend, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    I just got a beautiful Lakland 55-94, but there's a problem; the fret edges are sticking out on both sides.
    I have heard form the previous owner that it wasnt like that when he got the bass, but it had started to do that from the board drying out from where he lived.
    So the question is; what do I do? is there a way to oil up the board so that it expands back out? Or am I looking to get a fret leveling?

Any help is appreciated,
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    If it is truly unplayable because of the fret ends, then you should have them dressed. Be aware that when the humidity comes back up you might feel the slots. Don't oil the board or anything, but you might have luck with humidification. I don't know where you are but here in the northeast we get stretches of very very dry weather in the winter. Don't apply anything to the neck, but if you can leave it in a room with a humidifier running it should help after a few days.
  3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    Builder: ThorBass
    It is not uncommon for the fingerboard to shrink a little bit over time. I don't think you will have any luck with either humidifying or with applying oil to the fingerboard. You need to have the ends of the frets filed down to the level of the fingerboard. If the instrument is at least a year old it shouldn't have to be done more than once. But if you're happy with the frets otherwise, don't ask for a complete fret dressing, just have them do the ends.