1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fingerboard flush with body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by uethanian, Aug 23, 2007.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    just a thought...

is there any particular reason why fingerboards aren't flush with the top of the body? i can see some issues with bolt-on, but it seems simple enough with a neck-thru design.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am thinking the strings would end up being to close to the body. Would definitely make it hard to pluck. But maybe the bass would play super fast.

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i cant see that being a problem, since the pickups would have be routed deeper into the body, to provide a normal string height. and really, im only talking about the difference in height of a normal fingerboard. the strings would be only 5 to 10 millimeters lower than usual.

4. I would guess you would have to have the bridge sit deeper in the body as well. it would be tougher to access any frets past where the body would meet the fretboard.

5. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Playability:
    -Plucking
    -Resting your thumb
    -No room for popping

Mechanics:
    -Bridge would have to be set in the body

I actually like the Fender size gap, I don't like it when there isn't enough room.

6. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It has nothing to do with the pickups, I'm talking about the space between the strings and the body. As it is, some basses don't have much string clearance with the fingerboard raised, let alone flush.
    I got an idea, slap a bridge, some tuners and some strings onto a 2"x4", and tell us how it feels.;)

7. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Surely you can have the fb flush with the body as long as you have enough neck angle to compensate. It's sometimes done on g*itars isn't it?

8. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Why would you want to? What are the pluses?

10. most basses with a neck angle will have the fingerboard flush or even a hair deeper into the body. This is the case with a bass I'm currently building. There's no need to inlay the bridge.

11. I wasn't seeing it, but I was visualizing the fingerboard parallel with the body rather than at an angle. Obviously Wilser is right. You couldn't set a Fender neck deeper in the body so the fingerboard is flush, but with a neck angled back it would just be one more design consideration. I do like the 2X4 idea though- like a Steinberger without all that extra body mass.

12. I used to have a Spector NS2. It had the fingerboard flush to the body, but the bridge was inlaid. I had no problems slapping and popping that thing.

13. My favorite of the 4 I've built has the bottom of the fretboard flush to the body. I like it that way. Some add a "ramp" between the pickups and get a similar effect. The neck is not angled, and I did have to inset the bridge a bit.

14. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i figure it would provide a more organic feel, and perhaps make the bass resonate more.

i really dont like the sound of an angled neck, if you mean a bass with a profile of ^. definitely not organic. knowing there's basses out there already like that, im pretty satisfied, but theres just one thing; in this sense, why is the "classic" bass guitar the way it is? a flush top just makes more sense to me.

15. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
  16. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    wow, beautiful bass. if it wasn't for the fingerboard radius, it would be completely level. but its close enough to be considered flush. its interesting how they lowered the bridge, they carved out a gradual depression instead of routing.

almost wat i was talking about. im looking for a neck thru, where a flush fingerboard kind of melds with the body, or perhaps continues all the way thru.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It's not flush IMO. Flush is flush;)

I think radiusing the body to match the board is a nice idea for a fingerstyle player. If the top of the fingerboard is flush with the body I can see it working for fingerstyle but for anything where you really need to get "under" the string I don't see it working. I know I can't pop over the ramp on my basses that have them.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I took flush to mean both surfaces are on the same plane.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Pop and slap on those.
    ;)

20. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i sortof meant having a neck-thru where the fingerboard would be radiused and then transition into flat when it reaches the body. im still not seeing the issue with string height. they wouldn't be that much lower, and the pickups would be deeper. just look at http://www.adamovic.nl/xSN001.htm, the top of the pickups is almost level with the body, but the distance between pickups and string is normal.