Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard Height compared to body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iareplaythebass, May 12, 2004.

1. Is there a standard height the top of the fingerboard should be from the body of a bass? Or if it's too close, could i just lower my bridge to compensate?

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    don't think there's a standard, just depends on what bridge (type) you use. I'm building a bass using a hipshot style "A" bridge and it seems the saddles are pretty high from the base even when fully lowered. If it's fretted, dont forget to compensate for fret height also. I like the looks of basses where the fingerboards are right off the body, but some bridges might not allow this to happen unless you countersink the bridge into the body.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There is no standard.

You can accomplish your wanted minimum action in three ways (that I know of):
    - fingerboard thickness
    - neck angle
    - recessing the bridge.

****, school called, my son hit the head - can't finish...just use your head!
    Good luck anyway. (Didi that come out offensive? Not inteded!!)

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    A Fender bass usually has a 1" thick neck and a 5/8" deep neck pocket, which leaves 3/8" above the surface of the body. Some of the older Fenders had thicker necks and deeper neck pockets, but I think the 3/8" is pretty constant.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    something i've been working on:

[​IMG]

lightwave, but may help.

f