1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerboard is wiggling

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by GreenEggsnHam, Jun 16, 2014.

1. GreenEggsnHam

GreenEggsnHam

Sep 25, 2011
    I was just at a workshop for the past week. I left my bass in it's case with the fan on. When I got home and played it, I noticed that when I pizzed the E string, the fingerboard would wiggle slightly due to the pressure exerted by my thumb under it. What could be the cause? Is it an issue that I should look into?
    Max

2. Do you mean the end of the board is flexing like a diving board? If that's the case, the board is on the thin side and you may wish to look into having it replaced.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Moving? Yes you need to get it checked. Vibrating? I don't think so.

4. GreenEggsnHam

GreenEggsnHam

Sep 25, 2011
    Yes, it's flexing like a diving board. I just had just gotten it planed because it was slightly bowed, and before I sent it in there was definitely thick enough. Perhaps the luthier did a bad job?

5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Or perhaps your neck set is loose.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Thanks for bringing your bass in today!

Just an update to this...the neck set was fine ('39 Kay) but the board is maple dyed black. It's not too thin by ebony standards...but for maple...it's a bit squishy. Wasn't bad really...could make a real nice bass for someone...I think just think his technical abilities and playability expectations exceed what the bass is capable of. Time for some bass shopping! ;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. When do I get my cookie?