Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard position dots

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Oct 2, 2005.

1. (Not sure whether this should be here or in EUB's...)

My new solid-body EUB is nearing completion and I've decided to inlay position dot markers on the fingerboard. An admission of defeat, but as I'm primarily a BG player I've realised I need some extra help finding my way round the high notes. Maybe dots on 5th's & octaves will be enough.

What's the best way to work out the location of the dots? I've done it before on fretless BG and prototype EUB by just finding the note and marking the spot, but is there a set of measurements out there, or a simple mathematical method that would be more accurate?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    There's a freeware program out there called FretSpecs that I've used in the past; just feed in the scale length and it produces measurements. Only thing is, it doesn't seem to run on XP, though it did run on Windows 2000, 98, and 95.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    You could save yourself the trouble and do what most of us probably did in the first place on DB - make some pencil or tape marks until you find you way around, then rub them off. Doesn't take long.

Then again, as on an EUB you may have less built-in reference points like the neck heel ... so why not use a single brass stud to locate your thumb where the neck heel would be on a DB (around D or Eb on the G string) and learn the rest the pencil way ( marks at say 3 & 5 on the edge of the FB and maybe a dot at 12) - then you'll have less trouble if you ever pick up a DB.

And its always good to to read this thread for a balance of views:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40957&highlight=position+markers

4. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    An alternative would be small dots of white-out on the side of the FB. The white-out can be seen in dim light and is easily removed.

5. My EUB is fairly minimalist - even though it has a traditional
    neck heel, the lack of body references are what made me decide on some markings. The Steinberger EUB's have an array of dots for that reason, and I like the way they move the ones in the higher range to the G-string side of the fingerboard. I think I'll just do octave and fifth dot inlays, with maybe some tape in other positions while I get used to this thing (I've been playing BG since 1970 - I'm an old dog and EUB is a new trick...)

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion - very helpful.