1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerboard problem on Trib. l2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Joeymarshmallow, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I'm the proud new owner of a tribute l2500 and couldn't be more pleased tonally, but aesthetically I'm a little disappointed as of now. The fingerboard seems to be covered in some sort of plastic that looks to be holding the inlays in. On the third fret it's "bubbling" (there's a visible air pocket and it's chipped away at one spot by the fret. What is it? Can I get it fixed? At First I thought it might be a protective covering that's meant to be taken off eventually, but it's a hard clear material and I don't want to do anything irreversible.

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I hope you can return your bass because that sounds like the CNC machine went abit haywire.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    On all maple fretboards, there is some sort of clearcoat finish- this is the case with any manufacturer. Without it, the wood would start to look discolored over time and could also lose some integrity- maple doesn't respond well to the oil from your fingers, thats just a fact about maple. So don't remove the finish! Sometimes, there will actually be a layer of thi clearcoat over the frets as well- this will wear away naturally as you play the instrument.

4. Well there's a little chunk chipped off and it just kind of looks crappy, would it be possible to remove it and refinish it somehow?

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like a clear coat problem.
    If it's new, you can take it back.
    If it's a used purchase, you could put a dab of nail polish, model airplane paint, polyurethane from ace hardware...anything there.

Or just leave it.