fingerboard probs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    can the fingerboard on an old bass be repaired or replaced? I saw an old used bass at a pawn shop that I wanted for a slap bass, but it looks like somebody already used it for their slap bass - and it looks like they slapped with a claw hammer - the fingerboard looks dented/broken/crushed/screwed up right under the fourth string where the neck meets the body. would that be expensive to fix?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From what I've seen, replacing the "board" , the wood, of the fretboard isn't a big whoop.

But the fretwork is what makes it expen$ive.

I'd just see if I could buy a new neck for it, if it's a bolt-on.

Or, if the only fret that's a mess is that one you mention where the neck meets the body, (around the 20th fret I'm guessing) - how often do you go up there anyway, especially for slap????

If just one of the highest frets is damaged and the bass was a helluva deal, I'd overlook it, personally. If looking at it bothered me, maybe one of those adhesive fret markets made of abalone could be stuck on it to hide the damage.
  3. You would likely spend $300+ for a fretboard replacement and fret job. For that kind of green, I'd either buy a new neck or look for a good used one from ebay. They're out there!