1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fingerboard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Aug 2, 2012.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    So I just tried my teacher fbass today and the fingerboard is totally out of this world(my fender world) , its so flat and feel so damn smooth, so I was wondering is there any other bass that has that type of fingerboard ? Since buying one will cause me not to eat for a year.

2. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    US Laklands have the best neck and fingerboard, in terms of quality, comfort and playability, to me at least.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Even if Sadowsky Vintage and Ultra Vintage are wonderful as well...

Just... not that flat.

Anyway... still 1+ year on a "diet"...

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I am not eating dinner to buy a Sandberg a 4k bass will starve me to death literally :oops:

5. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    After trying the fbass, now I am a firm believer of boutique bass. Sorry to say but some arguement that says squier is so much more worth than a boutique bass is literally invalid, that fingerboard alone proof me that. I used to think that boutique bass is overrated. But wow...

6. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    If you are looking for a fast neck, very responsive, effortless to play and flat from my experience the best two are smith and fodera. Those are the two boutique basses I have tried with amazingly easy to play necks. I have tried Lakland, sadowsky, mtd and I own a p bass and ill agree with you, boutique basses are another thing.

They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

7. ppal

ppal

Sep 1, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Try a Zon Bass, flat smooth fretboard and tone for days. One thought to add here is just getting your bass set up right, even a boutique bass can feel like 2x4 with a poor set up, and visa versa, an inexpensive bass can "feel" like a boutique bass with the right set up ( won't sound like one tho)

8. You can find a flat neck from any manufacturer. Or you can create a nice flat neck on almost any neck. But, most experienced players agree that a perfectly flat neck is not the ideal neck, it should have some relief to make it play well. The reason most Boutique basses play well is the amount of man hours they can spend on the bass (primarily the neck) because of the prices they can charge. You can tale a Squier neck to a good Luthier and give him $1,000.00 and he can make it feel and play "famtastoc" Of course to spend that much money on a Squier neck would be rediculous. So, buy your Boutique bass if you like just realize you are paying for the difference.
    Rocky

9. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Is your teachers Fbass a stock radius (10")?? or is it custom...George can make you any custom radius if you want...My FBass AC6 is 17-22"...There are many great custom builders...Fbass is my prefered builder...but be prepared to spend over $10K for a custom bass.

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
  11. Wonder if I can get a Rogue painted like that? Wow. Great finishes and colors on their website.

12. Hi.

HUGE +1 for a setup.

An instrument is only as good as the setup. No way around that.

Since Your "world" is Fender, replacement necks can be bought with any imaginable radius and with any imaginable material combination, so the road to your dream doesn't have to be as expensive as you think.

Regards
    Sam

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    hmm... any recommendation to where i can get such neck? i took my bass to experience luthier to set up, but the feel just cant be compared to the fbass..haha

14. flatter radius, meticulous fretjob, thin back profile, good neck stability.

15. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    A good set up will make a difference, but to get to the highest level of feel and comfort you have to start from step one.
    Woods choice, glue up method, and dimensions are on one side of things. Then neck shape(profile), thickness and radius are more personalized.
    Many more things are involved like proper fret seating, aging of the neck blank etc. to get to the highest level.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Take it from me. If you want a really nice flat wide easy to play neck and want a new one at an affordable price and that sounds good too. Get yourself a Brubaker Brute JJX or MJX. They come in 4 or 5 strings with really nice maple boards. they have a modern and aggressive tone and are the perfect bass to use for a pickup or preamp upgrade. I swear by mine.

17. +1000 - You need to see if you can get your hands on one of these and give it feel. I've not played an f-bass, but from the way you described the feel of the neck on the one you played, I could have sworn you just described a Brubaker neck. Obviously there is gonna be some differences from builder to builder, but the Brubaker Brute has my vote for the most comfortable/playable neck, without the boutique price, on the market today, IMO/E. :cool:

18. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    wow and this happens after i choose the sandberg over the brubaker brute, haha going to sell my fender when my sandberg came and bought the brubaker brute SC