1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingerboard Radius Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Wrench, Apr 25, 2009.

1. The Wrench

The Wrench

Feb 13, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi All!

Let's say I have a "friend" who is ordering a Fender CS '64 Jazz. Obviously, these come with a 7.25" radius. Would it be a good idea, in order to achieve a lower action, to go with a 9.5" radius instead?

I want, I mean my friend wants, to maintain that vintage feel, vibe, and tone. So, is there any overwhelming reason to go with the 9.5"? My friend (I got it right that time), is used to 7.25" radius on his Fender P's with the 1.75" nut, but recently pulled out his Stingray with a 9.5" (and 1.625" nut) and noticed a big difference. is that difference just due to paying a pro to set it up properly or is there an inherent "betterness" to the 9.5".

Thanks, and be gentle...

2. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    With a 7.25" radius, the pole pices on the pickups under the A and D-strings needs to be raised because if the pickup is flat, the E and G-strings will be louder. That´s the only "con", I believe. A neck with 7.25" radius is quite comfortable to play, I think.

3. A well set up 7.25" is as comfortable as a well set up 9" for me. With a wider neck like a 5 or 6 string I like a flatter radius but for a 4 string P either would be good for me. Maybe you should try it as is and then look at an aftermarket neck if you feel you might like flatter better?

4. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    if the fretboard is the same all around the board then it shouldnt matter for the action

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    flatter boards have an advantage for low action with string-bending, but for straight playing, it shouldn't be a big factor. (other than the pickup thing; i don't for the life of me know why all jazz bass pickups don't have raised middle magnets!)