FingerBoard - RADIUS - Preference

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Oct 12, 2002.

1. 10" or Less ( Fender / Pedulla )

15 vote(s)
  2. 11" 12" 13" ( StingRay / Sadowsky )

15 vote(s)
  3. 14" 15" ( Modulus / Yamaha / Carvin )

7 vote(s)
  4. 16" 17" 18" (Tobias / Ken Smith )

13 vote(s)
  5. Over 20" ( Curbow / Acacia )

7 vote(s)
  1. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  2. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i like 'em flat.
    so 18+ works for me~
  3. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Anybody know what the radius on a newer Ric 4003 is?
  4. I prefer a compound radius.
    7.5 at the nut ending at 25 at the body.

To me it feels more comfortable to have it a bit thicker at the nut and more flatter as you move up. But in general flatter is better
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My MTD 535 is my most comfortable bass, but I'm not sure of the radius... I'm guessing in the 16" range as listed above.

That said, I enjoy playing other radii, ranging from my Fender RB5 to my Warwick SSI 5.
  6. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    I think Luthier Michael Tobias designed the MTD basses with a more classic fingerboard radius than the former Tobias instruments...
  7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have a six string with a completely flat fingerboard. It seems odd at first, but you adapt really quickly and I find it helps me with chordal playing and string crosses.
  8. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    This poll needs your opinion & few more votes! :bassist:
  9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    If I were to build a 7+ strings bass, I would strongly consider going with a flat fingerboard...

I usually go for 16" on my 5 strings and a little more on 6ers.

Peace, JP
  10. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I like the radius to be around 10", my Sadowsky is with 9", normally Roger makes them with 12", but I prefer the more curve/vintage fender feel, I think it fits better to my hands...I've played basses with more than 12" and the flat radius felt totally wrong, somehow a flat radius makes the neck feel the radius just a matter of feel, or does it affect the tone? I've heard that flat radius' make basses sound a bit more modern??? :)
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I love 'em wide and flat--Curbow is the feel that I like best. It seems to make more difference the more strings you have, but even on 4's I prefer a fairly flat radius.

12. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    actually, one of the (many) reasons that i prefer 5 and 6 strings is because in general they have flatter boards. i guess it wouldn't make sense to have a 4 string with a really big radius? dont' know, but i haven't seen any.
  13. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I like the flat fingerboard with my six string, and I like the more round fingerboard on my four string. I voted for the flat radius, but I like them both.
  14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I generally like the feel of the compoubd radius. Who all does them on regular production basses?

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    My MTD635 is 10" @ the nut & 14" @ the 24th frett. Very comfortable, works for me...

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I like 19" on all my basses.
    My new FBB 6-string fretless will be 19" also.
  17. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I thought that MTD's were all 9" or 9 1/2" - I can't remember.

Devilman, Was yours custom or are Mike's 6 strings an exception to the 9"-9 1/2" norm for his other basses?
  18. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    whenever I pick up a bass with a 7 ish inch radius, it melts into my hand and feels good. I'm fine with anything though.