1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fingerboard relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fiddlpat, Dec 24, 2000.

1. fiddlpat

fiddlpat

Dec 24, 2000
    I'm primarily a fiddler and a guitarist(electric), and I just got a Danelectro 58 Longhorn to record with, as I hear it is good for acoustic sounding response with it's wooden bridge. I record alot with acoustic instruments,,, fiddles, banjos, etc. My question is, how much relief on the neck do you need to see to know it is proper, when you fret a string at the first fret, and the last fret, and see the distance at the 7th fret or so. I know what is proper on a guitar or a mandolin, but not on a bass. I'm sure it'll be more, cuz of the bass string's longer vibrating frequency. It came with med gauge short scale strings,,50 thru 105 or so, and I ordered a set of GHS 7700(40-96) short scale strings, as the ones on it seem a little heavy for my taste. I sure hope that GHS 96 is tapered at the end, so I won't have any trouble getting it in the tuning post.
    Thanks,
    fiddlpat

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I use a heavy guitar pick as a guage for a starting point. With the bass in the playing position, I capo the first fret and fret the 15th and slip the pick under the string at the 8th fret. When it just slips in barely touching the string then it's OK. You may have to adjust from there, but it's a good start.

If you want a more upright tonality I'd use flatwounds, pluck near the neck (or over the fretboard around the 16th fret or so) with the side of my fingers and use only the neck pickup. That sounds fairly uprighty on my Dano DC.

3. fiddlpat

fiddlpat

Dec 24, 2000
    Thanks, Rumblin' Man, I'll bear that in mind. I'm scared too much relief is there already, and may be due to these fairly heavy strings. It's brand new. I've been picking it with a 1 mm Tortex pick, so I guess that's heavy. Thanks for the advice on the flatwounds too. I was thinking that, though the ones I ordered are round wound. They're GHS, and I hear they go dead pretty fast, so that's good, in this case. I play electric too, so I want to use it for that also. Strike a happy medium if I can. Like I mentioned, just praying that E string is taper wound. Seems to me they'd all be these days, or they'd say so, one way or the other, but I'm new to these intricate details of basses, and I saw one fella complaining about not being able to get an E string into the post of a Longhorn, though I thought maybe he had gotten the wrong scale strings. Your DC has those little posts too, right? unless you changed that.

fiddlpat