1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fingerboard removal and reglue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Mar 12, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    i need to remove a gloss maple fingerboard from a maple neck to replace a truss rod and install a couple of reinforcement rods

before i proceed i have tried this before using an iron but it wasn't on a finished neck, and some of the frets came of easily after the deed.. fortunately i was only experimenting with a cheap neck

this time i'd like to avoid that, any tips ??

another thing, i don't supose i could avoid refinishing the neck after i replace the truss rod and install the two rods, instead i'd like to refinish the area where the fretboard joins the neck(i'm thinking of using a razor to cleanly separate the two pieces where they are bound by the gloss finish), has anybody tried something like this?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    When contemplating fingerboard removal and replacement, at a minimum a fret dress is assumed. Partial refrets are common. There is no way to avoid this.

Refinishing the at the glue line is typical for this repair. The trick is to score the finish at the fingerboard joint with a sharp razor blade.

3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    thanks for the reply

could you tell me more about the at the glue refinish repair

i've heard of a few techniques like touch-up, laquer melting, oversplaying

but i'm not sure which is best to refinish that thin area or how to proceed

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That advice is dependent on the existing finish, age, color, and the amount of damage. Post that here and someone will help you.

By the way, this is not a project for the casual tool user. It spans several disciplines and demands the use of advanced techniques.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ^^^What he said.

Very, very unlikely. Sorry.

6. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    thanks

i'll take it to a pro

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Smart guy.

This is one of the tough repairs. There are a lot of things that can go wrong at every stage and often do. Each one of those things is a separate repair in and of itself. Even pros have been known to utter a few oaths while performing this one.