fingerboard trapeze shape.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adisu, Oct 6, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Hi all.
    Maybe you can help me with this fingerboard question!!!!
    My custom 6 strings BG is on a built process.
    I wanted the spacing between the strings to be 19mm because that's what i used to on my current BG.
    The problem is because it's gonna' be a 6 strings BG it's gonna' be too wide for my fretting hand with a trapeze that the 19mm spacing will create for the fretboard.
    The guy on the custom shop said he can make the trapeze of the fretboard so it will be 19mm near the bridge and near the tune keys area it will be like it was a 17mm spacing bridge.
    (Hope i made myself clear enough).

Is there a problem with creating a different trapeze for the fretboard other than the regular shape????

Thanks in advance.
  2. I apologize for my you mean trapezoid? If so, it's perfectly fine and normal to have a different spacing at the bridge and at the nut. 19mm-17mm is not too great a difference, IME.
  3. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Thanks a lot for your answer mate, Yes I meant trapezoid (sorry, english is my second language).

I guess I'm gonna' do it then.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Matt's on the money, look at a Fender Jazz bass, the strings are certainly not the same distance apart at the nut and the bridge, and it varies, look at a Geddy Lee signature! :eek:

Very few basses actually have the same spacing at both the nut and bridge.
  5. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Gard my friend you didn't get my point and it's the fault of my lame ability to pronounce myself in english sometimes (as i wrote at the first post -"Hope i made myself clear enough" -guess not).

Anyway i didn't mean to have the same spacing at the nut and at the bridge i meant that when you have 19mm near the bridge the trapezoid create a regular normal spacing that fit the 19mm near the nut for example on my jazz bass the spacing is 19mm so the begining of the fingerboard is around 60mm and it ends up near the nut at around 40mm , this is a regular curve of the fingerboard trapezoid .
    Now i wanted to know if i can make the trapezoid with a bit more acute angle so the fretboard near the nut won't be so wide and at the same time avoid sound quality decreasing.

Thanks anyway mate....i hope now i made myself a bit more clear.
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yes, you can make the end of the fingerboard as narrow as you want. :)
  7. I think as long as the strings don't touch each other at their greatest excursion, the only limit is having enough material to maintain stability, which still should give you some room for play. That's just speculation, though. Some of our resident luthiers may have science to help you stay within safe limits.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It's very possible, though hardly playable, to make a neck with 2mm string spacing at nut and 50mm at bridge.
    It's also possible to make a more playable neck with 2mm and 6mm respektively (you will need a pick and some precision - talk about P-bass! :D ).

Just spec what you want, regarding these dimensions, and it can be made.