Fingerboard treatment...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by zandar, Sep 3, 2005.

1. zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm wondering if it's acceptable to use a product such as Guitar Honey on the fingerboard of my Shen upright. I typically use this stuff on my electric every few months when it becomes clear that the wood could benefit from it, and it seems like the concept would apply to the upright as there something better out there for URB fingerboards?
  2. To clean my fingerboard, I always use a rag and 99% rubbing alcohol.
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I sure hope you oil it after that...
  4. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All I've ever had to do is scrape dead skin off the board. For that I usually take the strings off one at a time and lightly go over that area with 0000 steel wool (the really fine stuff).
  5. The fingerboard? Never have.
  6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't know what Guitar Honey does or is, but Watco Danish Oil (buy it at Home Depot/Lowe's) is an excellent self-drying product that works great and is used in many instrument repair shops. Ebony is a naturally oilly wood, and it's good idea to put on a light coat of Watco after the rubbing alcohol.

0000 Steel Wool will get rid of the dirt, and not the Watco, by the way...
  7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I don't oil my fingerboard either because in my experience oil attracts dirt. Am I missing something?
  8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well, maybe so, if you don't wipe it down good. BUT.. "Dryness promotes Cracks in wood".. I'll Lube my FB as needed. I keep a rag in the tailpiece to wipe the Bass as I play.
  9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If a fingerboard is over-oiled, it will attract dirt. But if you just wipe on a thin layer and let it dry, it gives the board a smooth, easier-to-clean surface. A little goes a long way.
  10. zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Cool thanks for the replies. I'll try out the guitar honey.
  11. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The most important aspect of sealing the board is protection against exuditory elements of the digits. I'm sorry, but not treating the board with something is a mistake.
  12. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

If you wipe down the strings and fingerboard after each use your always clean and oil'ed (finger oil!!).