Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard width vs. string spacing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim Barber, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I'm laying out some new fingerboard templates and I'm wondering if there is a "standard" amount of space to leave between the outer string wrap and the edge of the fingerboard. Too little = string falls off board. Too much = neck unnecessarily wide. Is there a consensus as to what is comfortable? Is it different for fretted and fretless? Different for bass and treble side? Do I ask too many questions? :D

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    When I cut a nut I like to leave .135". It seems to leave just the right amount of neck to allow me to round the frets over nicely. I also make the neck width to allow this to be a consistent width all the way up the neck. Of course, it can be adjusted to suit a players taste.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I leave 5mm from the edge of the nut (or board) to the center of the outside strings.

Peace,
    JP

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great thread, bump!

:)

5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Wow, I caught two big fish with one cast! :D Thanks for the info, guys.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've seen this approach often:

[​IMG]

exTREMELY simplified representation!

f

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Flodshon, you are some kind of good with those graphics. Wish I could do that.

Harrell S

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    thanks pkr2.

i've been doing it a looooong time.

f

9. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i concur... i like it around .125" from the outside of the string to the edge of the neck. and maybe an extra .005-.010" for a low B string.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You don't need much space between outer wrap and edge. My LoW has merely 1,5 mm, which works well. The BassLab has 5mm+. Works, too.

Fretted would probably take a bit more, to be abel to round off the edges well (ref to Careys post).

Probably.......NOT! :D