Fingerboard with WoodGlue!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MacDaddy, Sep 27, 2002.

1. MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    Ok, I'm trying to take off the current fingerboard on my upright bass to replace it with a pretty walnut one, but apparently the previous owner used woodglue to put on the current one. I've tried everything to get this sucker off and nothing works. I don't mind if I ruin the current fingerboard, I just don't want to have any damage to the neck. What do you recommend?
    (I know this is a bass guitar forumn, but since both types have fingerboards, you guys may know what to do.)
  2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Have you tried heating it up to soften the glue? another option is to plane off the board.
    I would suggest a different wood than Walnut for the board though

I am in spokane also, email me if you want some help.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If the board you have is ebony, your best bet is to try and restore the one you've got. These are huge, expensive hunks of ebony on upright basses. Made to last as long as the instrument. If you trash the current board, you (or the next person to own the instrument) will be sorry later.

If it's not ebony, then heat should soften the glue. It will take some patience, but I would think a good iron should be able to eventually get the board off. But, as Darrin says, walnut is too soft for a fingerboard.