Fingerboard wood dilemma

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mastro, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Macassar, no binding

10 vote(s)
  2. Macassar with maple binding

6 vote(s)
  3. Bloodwood no binding

1 vote(s)
  4. Bloodwood with maple binding

3 vote(s)
  5. Bloodwood with ebony binding

7 vote(s)
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
  1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm currently working on a chambered fretless neckthrough bass. Here are the specs I've narrowed down to:

• 3-piece padouk neck
    • 34.75 inch scale
    • ETS MKIII bridge (the 2 piece one)
    • birch chambered core
    • Ovangkol back
    • Cocobolo top

Now, as you may have guessed, I'm currently debating the choice of fingerboard wood. I have a nice piece macassar at home, but I think it'll look to busy with the cocobolo top. The other stuff I have is bloodwood. I have a padouk/bloodwood neck, and it looks pretty good. But seeing some other thread in the basses section, got me thinking about using binding. So as you have seen in the poll section, what would you pick among those options. I'm thinking bloodwood or bloodwood with binding, tho I'm not sure which type. If you are strongly opiniated about your choice, please tell why.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Hopefully you already have the bridge. They are being incredibly slow to ship. Post photos.t
  3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I got some in construction pics, they're not very clear tho...
    And no, I haven't got the bridge yet, I placed the order last week. I'm not really in a hurry tho.

This pic is a rough mockup of the core and the neck, you can see the outline of the body on the birch. The empty section is the "chambered" part. Haven't chambered the upper section yet.

This one is my template for the body. I'll only have one f-hole on each side, so disregard the smaller holes. It's sitting on top of my cocobolo top, but it looks a lot redder in reality.
  4. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I voted bloodwood no binding.

Bloodwood because I trust your assessment that the macassar (which I love for tone and look) might be too busy with the cocobolo.

No binding because it looks too busy with binding. You have a nice body design and nice woods. Don't detract from them, IMO, by having binding.

If you do want binding do the ebony as the maple would just stand out too much, IM.
  5. I would love it if one of the builders out there was using maple for fretless like fender did on the old P bass necks. Can't seem to find one to do it.
  6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    All but one of mine do..t
  7. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    i've just gotten my black locust for a fretboard and its crazy grained like zebrawood, stronger than maple and hopefully it won't sound like crud.
  8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL

Maple fretless rocks... I will soon have 2 that are maple fretless.

Heres one...

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Like Wolfehollow said.... Maple Fretless Rocks!!!

10. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I too am a fan of maple fretless. Sounds really good and looks stunning.