Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard Wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joeviau, Oct 20, 2003.

1. joeviau

joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Can fingerboard wood influence the sound of an electric bass? Would an ebony fingerboard bass have a different sound than say a rosewood or pau ferro fingerboard bass?

2. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    yes...

and yes.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :bawl:
    :D

Seriously: there will be differences. Harder board will promote treble more than a less hard. More porous will promote lower frequences.
    Roughly spoken.

OTOH, the fingerboard has a rather mikrobic impact on tone, in relation to such influences as pick-up position, strings and PLAYER !!! :bassist:

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Suburban,alchemist of bassdom, hater of curly maple, please explain to me what a "mikrobic impact" is.

many thanks, profesorri, tutori.

Don

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Alchemist? Stupid! ;)
    Hater of curly maple? Not at all - I do think it's very much overrated, though.
    Non-anglo? Indeed! I searched my dictionaries to find a word to describe "very, very, very small impact", and that was as close as I got!:confused: Not good english, I know - and obviously, you know that, too.:oops: