Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tribal3140, Dec 22, 2005.

1. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I just want some feedback form builders on what you think of diffwerent fingerboards.
    this isnt spam, I am sponsoring my own forum and all wood inquiries can be directed there soon. Or PM me.

what do you like/dislike about, and why.
    1.) pink ivory
    2.) gaboon ebony
    3.) macassar ebony
    4.) cocobolo
    5.) wenge
    6.) bolivian rosewood
    7.) birdseye maple
    8.) purpleheart
    9.) katalox (pronounced cat-a-losh)
    10.) camatillo (mexican kingwood, dalbergia congestiflora)

If you have a strong opinion about anything I forgot please add.
    I am doing research for some upcoming basses.

(in my opinion camatillo is the most luxurious wood period for fingerboards. I love it! sound, feel and workability. its major downfall is the freaking price and availability :bawl: .)

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't have any real problems with anything on the list that I've worked with (2-8). However, I'm a bit sick of wenge (no real reason, I just am) and in my limited experience cocobolo tends to crack pretty easy. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of the classic ebonies. I just love the way they polish up with no outside help, and the streaking in some macassar is amazing. Of course, ebony has that interesting stink when you cut it, but the end result is almost always fabulous.

Personally I like a fingerboard that's chosen to tie the instrument together. Just about anything will work if you prep / finish it properly. The acrylization process is pretty much a Godsend for those of us who like pretty fingerboards.

-Nate

3. Actually, the major downfall is that dalbergia congestiflora is considered an endangered species by NOM-ECOL-059 (Ecological Official Regulations in Mexico) and selective hardwood exploitation is considered to be compounding problems for this species. IMO, it is unethical to use such a wood knowing this about it.