Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brien_4, Aug 18, 2003.

1. could someone please explain to me the difference/advantages/disadvantages of having a fingerboard versus not? i'm currently playing a les paul epiphone bass that has a nice rosewood finger board but am interested in buying a five-string olp musicman knock-off. (strapped for cash and hear they're pretty reliable) only thing i noticed when i was playing the olp is that is has no apparent fingerboard? or is there a fingerboard the same colour as the neck? i dunno, i'm slightly confused. could someone straighten me out?

ps. if anyone has any comments to add on the olp, feel free to do so.
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    all basses that i know of have fingerboards- sometimes it is the same material as the neck- but nevertheles, they all fingerboards- or where would the frets go?-
  3. which is what i wondered, but would it be a maple fingerboard? and if so, is maple a known finger-board?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yes, it's a maple fingerboard, although they're not always the same piece as the neck. Maple is probably the second most common fingerboard wood out there after rosewood.