Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerease addict!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steve Cat, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Steve Cat

Steve Cat

Mar 19, 2001
    OK I admit it I'm a Fingerease addict. It started when I played the guitar and now I'm using it for Bass since I went to DR Hi-Beams. It seems likje the Bass strings suck up a whole lot more Fingerease than the guitar strings and need much more applied more often. Are there any longer lasting products? What kind of oil is Fingerease? Is there a cheaper industrial comparable?(No I don't want to try WD 40) Yeah I know I should learn to play without it but playing Bach with all sorts of finger noise doesn't make it, and I doing all I can do just to keep the runs regular and in time.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Doesn't fingerease kill your strings? I've never tried it but I would think that putting anything on strings like this would kill them.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nose and/or ear grease, KFC Original Recipe?

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
  5. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I assume you've already tried black shoe polish. It seems to work very well for me.
    Digs

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This seems like a great opportunity to ask: What do you use Fingerease for?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why don't you try using Elixir bass strings? They've got a coating on 'em that make 'em real slick 'n stuff...

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I tried FingerEase back in the 70's...then I stopped.

Nickel strings don't make as much noise as stainless steel.

Then there's always practice :eek:

9. Steve Cat

Steve Cat

Mar 19, 2001
    Well since you are the moderator I'll assume you are sincere. This may be a huge assumption, but anyway. I've been trying to learn Bach's Sonata in G Minor and there are alot of horizontal jumps that must be done quickly. Fingerease does what it is advertized to do, i.e, it helps my calluses from getting filed off by my DR Highbeams, cuts down on string noise as I'm playing with the bridge pickup with the treble on the bass all the way up and Pandora Bass Box with the "90"s modern patch selected which is bright and a American Standard Bass which has very hi-fi sounding pickups, at least to me. It also lets me hit the notes quicker by allowing me to briefly slide into the note, which probably could be overcome by practice. It seems to keep the strings cleaner, but that may just be DR's. I also play in a Church band and I get a little nervous playing in public so my hands sweat which makes my calluses soften and drag and wear out even quicker. I like the way it smells and the "oil" evaporates over time so my neck doesn't get all greasy and goopy.