Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering 4th intervals or lower dominants?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by marc40a, Aug 8, 2002.

1. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hi all,

First off...I'll admit it...I'm not an upright player - I'm a left handed electric player fretted/ piezo eqiupped fretless. Please don't pick on me.

Regardless, I'm a huge jazz fan and the upright feel is one that I'm constantly trying to emulate.

I've been working w/ a drummerless jazz trio and the fretless really lends itself well to the overall vibe.

The question is how you upright players finger the interval of a perfect fourth (starting on either note) especially within the context of an uptempo walking line? Do you use the same finger or do you pivot your hand to use an adjacent finger.

The pivot method seems to be the most efficient speedwise but unless the your fingers are lined up perfectly the intonation suffers.

Which approach is more common in the context of a traditional walking line?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I most often use adjacent fingers if I want a legato movement. This goes against Simandl, but it makes sense to my hand. Neither my old teacher or my current one ever had a problem with this. Occasionally I'll use the same finger, depending on what's going on.

3. Two fingers in thumb position, one in the lower registers. I'll bar my finger across both strings in some cases, others I'll move it.

4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    It depends on what's going on and where I'm going after the interval. For example if I were playing an A on the E string and afterwards needed to play a 4th and then a major 6th I would be more inclined to use my index finger for the A, middle finger for the D on the A string, and then my index again for the F# on the D string.