Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering advice needed.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by j1mj@m, Oct 7, 2005.

1. j1mj@m

j1mj@m

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi All, I'm working up a chordal excercise which I can play OK but wanted to get some feedback on fingering/approach.

The excercise involves playing a series of 7th arpeggios up the Bb Major scale (So Bb maj7, Cm7, Dm7 etc).

I'm starting on E string 6th fret. I'm happy with what I'm doing until I get to Gm7 from where it all seems to be fingers 1&4 on the D&G strings. I'd like some suggestions how to better get round this excercise.

TIA for your help.

I've put a copy of the excercise and my current fingering below.

[​IMG]

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Try just continuing on up the neck, using the A, D, and G strings for each arpeggio. Forinstance, you could play the Gm7 and the Am7b5 both as 4-2-1-4 (or the Am7b5 as 3-1-4-3), and the Bbmaj7 as 4-3-1-4.

Very importantly, though, don't get locked into the idea that there's one "right" way to finger any arpeggio. Ideally, you should be able to get to those notes in different ways, from different positions, and on different strings.