Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering: Always use the same fingers or not?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was curious if it is a good habit or not to consistantly use the same fingering for pattern on different positions on the neck. For example, I usually use my index and ring fingers to finger octaves, but in the higher registers I often switch to using my index and middle fingers which opens up my ring finger to use. Opinions?

2. Sure, whichever fingering works.

Myself, I finger octaves either 1 + 4 or 1 + 3 no matter where I am, and very occasionally 2 + 4.

I sometimes find myself changing fingerings higher up for scales and runs, too. The reduced stretch means I can make a little less use of shifts and slides if I want to do that.

Go for it.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bump. Any other thoughts out there?

4. For octaves, it's always either index and middle or index and pinky. Other than that, I just use the one finger per fret way.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes, these are the only fingers I've got.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :meh: Ba-dump bump! :D