Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering Chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by moxnix9, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Simple question that I couldn't quite find on a search. What is the best way to use your fingers to play chords and power chords? Right now I just use my index finger on top of my thumb, like holding an invisble pick and play them. I only pick up a pick on rare occasion anymore and I'm able to use the I(ndex) M(iddle) R(ing) finger method. So could I try something like this:
    G-M---R--
    D-I----M--
    A------I--
    E---------

Any other ideas? I play pretty fast chords/power chords so I need to be able to strum or whatever fast.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    there are various ways to strum - the method that you are using works well, using your finger nail like a pick. you can also just use your thumb, or a more 'flamenco' style strum using all your fingers. best bet is to just experiment with everything you can think of and see what works for you...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another way is to rake the strings with your index or middle fingers, or pop all of the strings involved simultaneously.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats how I usually do it.

Peace
    Nick