Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering for Bach Cello Suite

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by MacDaddy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    I'm working on the first bach cello suite and I'm having issues with the last chord, what's the best fingering method? My teacher showed me today but I totally forgot what he did, can anyone enlighten me?

2. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    I love that piece dearly and know it pretty well.
    Just help me get my bearings:
    1.Which edition are you working from?
    2.Which movement are you on? The first or the last?
    ...to be continued.

3. I've been studying the first suite, movement 1 at cello pitch for a couple of months now (inspired by hearing the Meyer recording), and I feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface. Just when I think I've found the ideal fingering for a particular phrase, I decide that another might be easier, or perhaps more difficult but more expressive or suited to the acoustics of my bass.

I must say, though, that studying this piece has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've had on bass so far. Infinitely challenging, but occasionally I'll catch a glimmer of what it might sound like once I "master" it, and that spurs me on. At the risk of being pidgeonholed into the "Ah! Bach!" club, to me, there are few composers so sublime.

I figure it will take me about a year to get the point where I won't be embarrassed to play the first movement in front of people. Let's see...six suites, six movements each at one movement per year...that's just thirty six years to master the entire work (give or take)!!