Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingering for minor arpeggios

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I'm talking about a plain old minor triad. (but the question applies to a bunch of other chords / arpeggios) Should I play the root with my midle finger and reach to get the minor third with index finger then play the 5th with my pinky. (thats the fingers I use to play the minor scale) or should I play the root with my index finger, third with pinky and 5th with ring finger - or should I practice both? I do have very big hands and I can almost make the stretch G on my E string to Bb on my A string. I think my arpeggios played this way sound fine - the other way is easier. I've been practicing both, but to get the most from my practice I don't want to be practicing fingerings that are silly or would never be used or shouldn't be used or whatever. Any advice is appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I would practice all possible fingerings, they all can have advantages or disadvantages in a certain playing situation.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree with jmx. "be prepared" should be your motto. :D

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you gentlemen.

5. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    I definately agree with JMX and John, the more methods you have of finding the notes on the fretboard the better prepared you'll be when you're on the spot, experiment. Both fingerings you've described sound equally good to practice. Here's a few different fingerings I use when practicing Major 7th Arpeggios. These should give you a decent idea of some of your options and how you can alter the fingerings to play other arpeggios. I'll use B Major 7th Arpeggios for these examples.

1 = Index
    2 = Middle
    3 = Ring
    4 = Pinky

---
    1 - 7th fret E string
    4 - 11th fret E string
    1 - 9th fret A string
    4 - 13th fret A string
    ---
    1 - 7th fret E string
    4 - 11th fret E string
    3 - 9th fret A string
    2 - 8th fret D string
    ---
    2 - 7th fret E string
    1 - 6th fret A string
    4 - 9th fret A string
    3 - 8th fret D string
    ---
    3 - 7th fret E string
    2 - 6th fret A string
    1 - 4th fret D string
    4 - 8th fret D string
    ---
    4 - 7th fret E string
    3 - 6th fret A string
    2 - 4th fret D string
    1 - 3rd fret G string
    ---

With those fingerings you're starting and/or ending the arpeggio on a different finger each time. Hope this has helped, you probably already knew this stuff anyway.