Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingering: leading finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bos_mindwarp, Nov 29, 2005.

1. I've been thinking, does it matter in any way if you lead with your index or middle finger when playing with 2 fingers? I find it natural to lead with middle finger, is there any reason not to? Maybe if you want to develop 3-finger tech later on it would be easier to start with index, but I have no clue.

I just think its easier to flex fingers from outwards in (pinky to index) then vice versa.

2. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    whatever feels comfortable

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I find I lead with my middle finger...it kinda helped me in a way because when I wanted to develope my three finger technique, it was a logical progression to go "ring-middle-index".

But I thought "why stop there?" and so started practicing what I was already doing, but inverted, as in "index-middle-ring". It took a long while to get it down well, since it didn't feel too natural at first, but I think in a way it has helped my dexterity.

That said, I still do pretty much everything with two fingers, just middle and index.

4. It's best to learn both ways so you never get stuck trying to lead with your off finger in the middle of a passage.

5. LavendarSunrise

LavendarSunrise

Oct 5, 2005
    My current teacher recommends plucking on the beat with the index, so it is good to learn to lead both ways - with the index if the phrase starts on the beat, and the middle if it starts on the eighth note between beats. (if the pulse is a sixteenth, not an eighth, then the index plays on the beat and the third sixteenth notes)

6. i always start with my index, unless i am double poping, then i start with my middle. i don't know why, but i just learned that way

lowsound