Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingering on a c major scale

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Jan 20, 2002.

1. just a regular c-major scale in the first position.
    meaning on the 3rd fret of the a string.

i start with the index then the middle finger then the index and the middle and then the index and thats where the problem is at 5 fret of the d-string naturally i use my ring finger but i want o use my pinky. which would be the best choice to do? try to use the pinky till it becomes natural or use the ring.

2. use the pinky!!!!!!

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I'm not sure I'm understanding this question right (Spare me! It's 5 in the morning :p)...

You mean the left-hand fingering right? C major-scale in closed position, starting with 2nd finger on C? Wouldn't it be easy to play middle, pinky, index, middle, pinky, index, ring, pinky? I hope that's what you mean. Sorry.

To make it short, I say go with the pinky! :D

Be well,
    Stephanie

PS: Speaking of positions, how come different books, teachers, etc. say differently where a position is? Ex: My teacher, and my lesson book states 1st postion as open position. Another book I have states it as 1st finger on the 1st fret etc. And in this thread I'm assuming 1st position starts with 1st finger on B. (This is also what it states in yet another book I have) Ohhh I'm a little confused. :confused:

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Easy answer...one finger per fret. On a five fret reach (with two whole steps), use the index-middle-pinky. Skipped frets should be done between your index and middle whenever possible.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'm with stephanie on the fingering.

2-4
    1-2-4
    1-3-4

As far as positions go, I've always thought of the lowest fret played as being the position. So if there are open strings in the scale it is played in open position, if all the notes are fretted then the lowest fret is the position. So the aforementioned C major scale is played in second position as the E and the A are played at the second fret.

I wanted to add that IMO using the ring finger in place of the pinky is asking for hand problems someday down the road.

6. i just tryed that fingering right now.
    i like it, it's kinda hurts to do but i'll make it natural sooner or later. thanks you guys! if i get athertis some ones's gonna pay!

7. also what about on the A string 0-3-4-5 frets should it be open middle-ring-pinky or index-middle-ring?

8. like its been said already, you should try and use one finger per fret.

if you maintain this rule it becomes second nature.

if i played a major scal
    e starting on E for example, which in this case i would play the open E, i'd try and keep one finger per fret, the next step would be F

E>F>G>(open A)>on so on.

playing an open string doesn't require you to fret, so economically speaking using you index finger to fret the second note of the open major scale will mean you will not have to move or re-adjust for its duration.

some people play major scales starting with an open differently than they would play, say Cmajor.

as long as you keep the one fret per fret rule you'll be ok.

9. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Damn right!

(handier for playing 2 octaves up and down the neck as well)

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    proper finger positioning on a c maj would be

2 4

1, 3, 4

1=index
    2=middle
    3=ring
    4=pinky

11. I think I usually start with my middle finger from this position but I have been really happy starting from the C on the "E" string. Using my index finger the tone is not as solid but your options increase substantially. The neck is easier to deal with and the tones above G sound so much better. Also, moving up or down is so much easier so long as your finger reach is good. Try a C9 arpeggio from the low "A" string vs the "E" string.