1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingering on the frets or between the frets?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bitethisbullet, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bitethisbullet

bitethisbullet

Aug 24, 2008
    I was watching a video of somebody demonstrating the "hazard technique" a moment ago and noticed that the guy playing actually fingered on the frets, whereas I finger in between the frets. I've never had any formal lessons, and I really don't know why I do that. My question is this:

Is it better or more technicly correct to finger on the frets or between the frets?

-Johnny

2. As close as you can beside the fret is the proper technique, I believe.

3. Finger on top of a fret can be sketchy, your note will likely not ring as clear and with the tiniest roll of your finger you can change the pitch. Fretting just a tad bit behind the fret (might appear on top of from a distance) is what a lot of people recommend.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    You want to be in between frets, but as close as possible to the fret. Fingering directly over the fret can mean not enough clearance, which can turn into buzz city, dead notes, or being a semi-tone sharp.

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You know you have the right position when the amount of effort required to fret the note and get a sound (not a buzz or something else) is the least. The further away from the fret you go the more effort it takes with your right hand fingers to produce an articulate note. try it. but apply finger pressure slowly so you can see the difference in positions.