Fingering problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dougie1316, Apr 23, 2014.

1. image.jpg

Ain't the prettiest picture, but for my whole playing career I've fretted with my 3rd and 4th finger not using the tips like my first and second. Is this bad? I'm starting to get a bit of pain in my left hand from playing but my thumb seems to be slightly off (I for the live of me can get it between my index and first). Is it common to not be able to comfortably fret notes with the centre tips of your 3rd and 4th fingers?

2. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    I think it's OK. My 3rd and 4th finger's callouses also are on their side

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I use my fingertips on all fingers, but whatever works for you. I play with a good guitarist who is entirely self-taught, and while he has some unusual techniques, they work for him. Obviously this has worked for you, based on those callouses

timobee4 likes this.
  4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Quite apart from the section of the finger used to play, I'd be more concerned about the pain you are starting to experience and where you position your thumb.

"I for the live of me can get it between my index and first".

I am assuming you mean you cant get it between index and middle.

Playing with the thumb in this position can cause injury problems due to the narrowing of the carpel tunnel through which the tendons pass.
    Check out the two clips below :

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I almost always use the pads of my fingers (not the tips) so I don't think you are doing anything wrong in that aspect.

Looking at the calluses and grooves in your fingers, I think you might be a candidate for lower-tension strings and/or flatwounds. :)

timobee4 likes this.
  6. Terrible technique easy to fix if there is a need! I'm a jazz bassist for most part of my 37 years of bass playing. I'm 47. Probably 90% of bass player on this forum are young fresh bass players worshiping their 3 note master heavy metal heroes. But if you ever get to a level when you're asked to play jazz heads like Donna Lee, unisolo with the sax player you'd have to have equal strength, great dexterity and play with the tip of your fingers not with pads specially if one day you decide to try fretless bass! :) your fingers look like my fingers at 15 when I was playing in a Punk band! Lol. If you have no intention of advancing to a different level than your fingers, technique is just fine, does the job and that's all it matters! Took me a year or so to retrain my fingers to be able to play like a proper bass player not a hack. I also played double bass at school so my calluses were all over the place.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021