Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering Problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by valoo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. valoo

valoo

Sep 27, 2004
    I've been playing for almost two years and I'm starting to play some fast lines. However I have just noticed how bad my left hand technique is. My index and middle fingers are all set, but its hard for me to play with my ring finger bent so that only the tip of the finger makes contact. More importanatly, my pinly tends to lock up; when I play with any of my other fingers my pinky sticks up and I can't seem to stop. It locks up when I play a note with it as well. I've started to do grip exercises with a tennis ball hoping that I just need to develop the muscles, but I'm worried about it. Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

2. getting your fingers to work independantly is something you have to work on and develop muscles.The pinky and ring fingers share a tendon,and that is why you have to work to get them independant.If you use the 4 finger for 4 frets method,it will come eventually.
    Better yet,get a teacher...a good teacher can help you straighten out your technique.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Not sure how you hold your bass now but i have helped a few people in class by making them brieng up there bass on the strap and pull the neck up a bit! Might help!

4. valoo

valoo

Sep 27, 2004
    Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I've been doing finger exercises like mad and it seems to be helping; I think it's just a practice thing. I have also pulled my bass up a bit, maybe like a 1/2 inch or less and that helps a little too.