Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering Question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bronco, Jan 29, 2003.

1. So, I've been working my major scales. I wrote some excersizes of my own, and I came up with a question for you guys. I'm playing a fretless MIM Fender Jazz with flatwounds. Nice, simple equipment, no frills.

So, let's start with an example... I know! How about a C major scale. I believe I'm using standard hand positioning for execution of the scale. My left hand middle finger hits the root, in this case, a 'C', and my pinky fingers a 'D'.

Here's the thing. Let's say that from 'D', I want to jump up to the 7th, a 'B'. So, I would use my ring finger, right? To be clear, I am jumping up 2 strings with my pinky on the D and the ring finger on the B. Granted, the fingers are weak, and I can barely hit these notes with excellent intonation. Before I work very hard on this, someone tell me if this is 'proper'.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup, that works fine. However, unless you want to play the D and B at the same time (as in a double stop,) remove your finger from the D.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    it depends on the context of what you are playing.

what chord comes next?

you should be comfy with all fingerings.

get a book called BASS FITNESS to help with dexterity.

f

4. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that video is very similar to what the book BASS FITNESS covers.

pages and pages of mutations!!!

a week with this book, and you'll be flyin'!

f