Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering... Sth i dun understand..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    When i play the fingerstyle.... during transitions between strings.... should i move my thumb down to mute the string or continue resting it on my pickup?

Different book show me diff. style ( some say move the thumb... some say thumb still put.)

I am really confuse.. please advice. Maybe my technique is wrong... but it is really hard to play with the thumb not moving down to mute the strings. I get a awful tone..my notes are also very uneven....

What is the problem with technique? Someone please point it out...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's up to you - some people do and some people don't !

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Move it, it's a good way to mute and it will also be very helpful if you play an extended range bass...

4. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I "float" my thumb with very good results. There is no wrong or right way and this has been discussed a few times here at TB. Try one way or another and use what feels most comfortable and yields the best results. And don't get frustrated... :)

5. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    LOL.... i am guilty of getting frustrated and stop trying... then start playing with a pick

6. If following someone's advice results in 'awful tone', try NOT following that advice- particularly w/regard to something as insignificant as thumb placement. Place your thumb where it sounds best. Unless it really hurts, then you might want to compromise.

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    getting your technique from a book is a little like learning to ride a bike from a book... it just won't work for everyone. If they give you ideas that work, keep 'em. If their ideas don't work for you, don't.

move your thumb if it works for you... it does for me and many many others.