Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    When playing very fast i tend to sometimes ,on certain parts of the song , pluck the upstroke and come back down with the same finger doing a downstroke with my finger nail continuously . Is this a bad technique , i mean it seems to sound pretty good , should i continue to use this technique? Anyone else play some stuff like this? Any well known bassists?

thanks alot

2. I've done that before and still do sometimes. It's not bad technique and its an easy way to play fast until you get better at playing fast the "normal" way.
    My only concern is the tonal difference. It doesn't work well in a constant chugging part, but can work well in a different setting.

3. There's really nothing wrong with it if it sounds the way you like, and thats what you want to do, but don't do it as a step toward a different technique. In my experience, its MUCH better to learn the proper technique, even if its slow and awkward, and then work on making it sound good. Otherwise, you're just teaching yourself bad habits that will be hard to un-learn.

4. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    This is how Robert Trujillo of Metallica plays.

5. yes, I also play many things like this.

a good example is the first riff of "The Number of the beast" by Iron Maiden.

greets

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    If it looks as though you build on it, then push it and see what happens.

Sounds like a very good idea.

You could trim the nail down. People who chew there finger nails, can chew them right down past the top of the finger.