Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering while playing difficult riffs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheInsane, May 18, 2003.

1. As I have previously stated I have recently tried to play more with my fingers again instead of a pick. I find Metallicas songs good to learn to. However I have recently tried to play "blackened" off the "...and justice for all" album. I am about to get up to the "stamina" (not sure if this is the right word for it) to play the song right thru. However I seem to play it like this:

I = index, M = middle, R = ring

G|-----------------------------|
    D|-----------------------------|
    A|---7---7---7-8-7---7---7---7-|
    E|-0---0---0-------0---0---6---|
    I M I M I M R I

It's just that riff (that I know of) that I play like that because I find it hard to use the technique I normally use (that being ring, middle, index). What do you say, should I try to learn to play it "ring, middle, index"? I'm figuring that I can play this song like I do right now but it might be easier to learn more difficult stuff later on if I learn to play with the other method. I just need some oppinions on what you recomend.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Thelnsane,

I'm not familiar with the tune... it does look like the typical metal 'fluttering' of 1/16 notes. Yes??

For passages such as this, separating your 'mind' from concentrating on what your 'fingers' are doing, is pretty much a must do.

I've found an 'alternating' picking works well:
    I-M-I-M-I-R-I-M-I-M..etc.

Does that help at all?
    michael s.

3. I will try your picking style to but I was more interested in if you people feel it is important to always follow a pattern (R-M-I for example) or if you use 'alternating' picking styles.

Well I'm not to familiar with music language (especiially not when it's not my first language). Let's say like this; it's fast and it has a strange rythm to it :). I have a bass note/tab book and it says 7/4 which it is. See a tab of the song here:

Metallica - blackened tab

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There's no real need to follow a pattern as long as it's comfortable to play.

The general rule of thumb (pun intended) with multi-finger playing is not to use the same finger twice in a row - this can inhibit your speed.

A good thing to do would be to practice this line using ALL plucking finger combinations (ie, start with I one time, then M, then R). Try to keep the line smooth and flowing.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    TheInsane,

Hmmm... better understand what you were inquiring of.

I think thrash has a good bit of advice; "don't concentrate so much on 'following' a pattern.."

Again, separate your mind from your fingers... let the fingers flow and play as it feels best for 'You'.

BTW: I'll check out the link for the tabs and see if amazon.com has a short music clip of the tune to get a more accurate listen to the song...
    michael s.

6. Thanks people.

Or just use Kazaa/Direct Connect and download the whole song ;)

7. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I had the same problem a while back and posted a VERY similar thread. After a few weeks of strict R-M-I-R-M-I its definatly just as natural feeling. Its really helped me get clean sounding attacks even in really fast passages. I was never this fast with my old style 3 finger style. I say you can get good no matter which way you choose, since their are guys that are as fast with 2 fingers as i am with 3. If your going to try the 3 finger 321 technique it will feel natural after a few nights of working with it.

Joe