Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering without hitting other strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hey.. I have a problem when im playing with my fingers, say im playing an E5 chord.. I will pluck the E on the A string, and say i want to play the B on the D string as a harmonic while letting the E ring..

The way my attack works is that I will pluck a string and my finger will stop on the string above it.. so that will ruin the resonance i wanted.. to cure this i usually will just play with my thumb, but I want to learn to use my fingers properly.. if anyone has any clue what im talking about, advice?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It all comes down to controll of your right hand. Just do it slowly and really try to keep your fingers where you want them, and eventually you will get it. Practice makes almost perfect.

3. use your thumb, a lot of pros recomend this. i do it as well (not saying that i am a pro or anything)

lowsound

4. You've just got to change the angle of your pluck so that your finger flies up into your hand rather than hitting the next string.

5. just pluck your fingers away from your bass

6. If you use your thumb you have to reposition your hand for what you will play next if you go back to fingerstyle next. You will have to develop new muscle memory for the thumb action. But then after that it's the same story if your next string is vibrating above it and below it... you can't have your thumb follow thru to the next spot.

I'd recommend for this type of scenario to just play the angle of away from body of bass as the others have mentioned above and not to another string to KISS.

If you want to keep finger fatigue down;
    If you are used to a floating technique, use the weight of your arm to pull the string.
    If you anchor, use your anchoring thumb to sort of work as a base to pivot off of.

7. Let me clarify something; this was my advice for the one excerpt given.

So as mentioned above, if you're just going to go right back to fingerstyle and stick mostly just use your fingers, I'd do as mentioned above to pull away from body of bass.

If it's a long arpegiated thing where you're letting a lot of notes sound out, I'd recommend to use your thumb. Use your best guess for stuff inbetween. Cheers.

8. read the definite guide to the matthew garrison technique