Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingering

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xhibit, Mar 31, 2003.

1. xhibit

xhibit

Mar 19, 2003
    Sweden, Rättvik
    when i started playing bass I always used a pick.. and know I whant to play with my fingers, but my hand is realy untrained and i get stiff realy quick!! anubody know some exercises you could do?? thanks..

2. you can try getting one of those springy hand grip things, where you squeeze each finger indivudually.

3. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    this isnt exactly an answer to your question ..but just relax

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do not(!) use any training devices like tennis balls, springs, hand exercisers etc. You'll just risk injuries.

Practice, like sk8terboi (sorry :D) said, use a light, loose touch, stop when it starts to hurt, shake and/or stretch your hand and fingers when you get stiff.

Try to minimize excessive finger motions, that's why it looks so easy when you see pros play.

5. NO!!

6. Whats wrong with the hand grips?

7. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Just practice some very simple bass lines that don't require anything fancy from your plucking hand and when you get comfortable with that bassline, upgrade to one of higher difficulty. Just keep doing this and you'll get pretty good playing with your fingers. Just practice like that.