1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingernail Scratches on Chrome?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Jan 14, 2012.

1. An oddball observation here:::

I've got a few MIM Fenders, a few MII Squiers and an Affinity MIC.

I noticed that my fingernails make scratches on the chrome - especially the bridges and I don't have anything special as far as fingernails go, so this is kinda perplexing.

Does anyone else see any scratching showing up on their control panels - and part two of my question: is the true Fender chrome any better than MIM or MII of even MIC control panels?

If one were to look here, one could see the scratching I'm talking about:::

100_7573.

That's just fingernail scratches there! Really! I'm anal enough to want to make it go away.

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Ive got the same on my Cort Punisher on the Bridge Cover.Its got little swearl marks from my hands.
    Can it be removed ?

3. ^^ I don't think so. I'll be buying some new chromed hardware as I see it.

4. I'm not sure if it would help, but you could maybe look for chrome polish in an auto parts store
    BTW, Joe, I really done't think there's much you can do to prevent scratches like that unless you never touch your controls again, it's gonna happen again, replacing it with a new plate would be a waste of money. Try the chrome (or other metal polish like Brasso) polish first at least.

5. Cliff - you know how I feel about RW - even if I am causing it myself.

I really wonder if the Fender parts are a better type of chrome. But, yeah - I gotta find something to take these scratches out.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Chrome is very hard - It is difficult to think that it can be scratched by fingernails.

There may be a clear coat on top of the chrome that is getting scratched, and if so, it should be able to be polished out with chrome or auto polish, and then put a good coat of polymer auto polish on the whole instrument, double on the chrome for protection.

7. Yeah - that's what I thought - well, that and the possibility that this chrome is softer than other chrome applications.

I have an extra Jazz Bass control panel so I'll experiment with it for a coating or whatever.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1

When you try to polish light weight stuff, you usually end up creating more swirls, IME.

I used to obsess over swirls on my cars but now just polish enough to make them look good in normal lighting.

I use Gel Gloss liquid or aerosol to polish glass, aluminum, chrome and some hard plastic/vinyl to reduce swirls/scratches.
    Test in an inconspicuous area first.