1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingernails For Picks?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AboutSweetSue, Oct 10, 2018.

1. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I was messing around on a bass I haven’t played in awhile, and I noticed my fingernails were hanging up on the strings.

I began using those long fingernails to play like I would with a pick. Anyone ever tried that with bass? Acoustic sure, but bass?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've been doing that since ~1980. There's at least one thread here about it. I presently play flatwounds and it helps "cut through" when I need to. I use a nail hardener - but it sure sucks when you break one and have to go back to "flesh" for a week or so.

AboutSweetSue likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I tried. Wore my nails too much. I alternate between pick and pluck.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I experimented a few years ago with letting my index and middle fingernails grow barely past the tips to get a pick like sound. I didn’t hold an imaginary pick in my fingers and just use a nail. I played normal fingerstyle but gave it that slight extra bite. Was cool to mess around with, but I really scratched up my bass near the neck from also slapping and popping. So I went back to normal cuttin them back short.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    My nails,like a thin pick,tend to hang up on the string and decrease speed.
    That's why I do this. 03012552_Snapshot_20170503. 03012626_Snapshot_20170503_1.
    The picks I use are thick.
    Like a finger tip.
    They don't hang up on the string.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018