Fingerpickers - Where is your right hand located?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BullHorn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Near the bridge

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Near the neck

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Somewhere in between

29 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. All over the place

34 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I'm pretty sure there have been like 75432 of these threads in the past, but I need to make sure. :3

Where is your hand located when you're fingerpicking?

2. Well, if "fingerpicking" means "finger style" (typical, index/middle plucking) - then the answer is "All over the place" - based on the needs of the song at hand (had to get in the pun)...

If you mean "fingerpicking" like what you see banjo/bluegrass guitar players do (which would include all 5 fingers on your right/picking hand) then I locate mine "Somewhere in between".

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Over the pickup I'm playing, if one is soloed, neck pickup when both are on, with a P sometimes closer to the neck, where the thumbrest is.

4. I have a Warwick Fretless corvette and a Fender Jazz bass 24, both have the 2 soapbar jazz pickups. I anchor my thumb on the neck pickup with my fingers between the two pickups.

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Bridge pickup.

6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Yeah, I've done one a thread like this myself last year some time and there have been at least a couple more after that. :)

Voted "all over the place", but I mostly play in between the pickups on my jazzes, and on my new stingray copy, I playing right over that single pickup located in the bridge position. But all depends on how soft or sharp I want the sound to be and move my hand correspondingly.

7. Yeah, "All over the place" sounds a little loose but it's the way I work too.

I change where I play to alter the timbre of the notes. Closer to the bridge gives me more treble and tighter notes, and is great for funkier tunes. Closer to the neck gives me more low end thump but it's a bit muddier at the same time, great for reggae and blues/motown type music.

I was playing for a solo artist once and he asked me to play a little less "trebly" and he was a bit shocked when I just moved my hand a little and got the sound he wanted...

gui****s are SOOOOO easily impressed :)

8. i normally play play over right over the neck pickup or the bridge pickup. occasionally over the board when needed or anywhere else as it suits.

9. My hands are all over the place. There are certain areas for ideal tone and style of playing but in order to find out the best sounds play with you bass and figure out where the sweet spots are. This method of playing will help you understand your bass and get you to be much more comfortable playing live and in the studio and will make you more confident in trying new things out.

10. At the end of my right arm, attached to my wrist.

Seriously though, "All over the place", depending on what type of tone I want to produce.

11. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I'm with my band we play rock music, and for that I always use a pick. When I'm at a blues jam or just playing the blues on my own is really the only time I really play fingerstyle, and for that I tend to rest my thumb on the edge of the neck and play right over the 19th/20th fret. Nice and bassy tone. :)

12. fingerstyle: plant my thumb on the neck pickup and play in between the pickups
    slap and chords: directly over the neck pickup and up onto the neck

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I mainly play over the bridge pickup.

14. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    I have a pbass and play right over the pup w/ my thumb anchored on top of it.
    I also have a rescued frankenbass w/ 1 humbucker....same thing.
    It just works for me.

Althought I will occasionally drift toward the neck to get deeper and thumpier.

Matt

15. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    99% between the two pickups so I voted "between". Occasionally I'll move to the bridge for a brighter sound or to the neck for a rounder sound.

16. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'm all over the place - with a PJ setup I can really feel the tone change with the hand position, so why not use it? :smug:

17. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Just forward of the single pickup on my stingray. On my heartfield between the pickups.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021