1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerpicking oops: Middle fingernail

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HereIGoAgain, May 20, 2012.

1. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    Today was the third time I ripped off the tip of a fingernail (all the way down to the quick) while playing.

Anyone else do this before? Any good ways to prevent it other than not being so aggressive?

Thanks in advance.

2. sharpbass

sharpbass

Oct 4, 2011
    wow...no that's never happened to me.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    How the heck do you manage to do that?!

4. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not sure. I plucked the string for one note, then when I needed that finger again for a note, my response was much weaker. I snuck a glance and I had the nail from the quick to the tip flapping around.

So far, I've never damaged the first finger's nail.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I keep my nails short and file the edges smooth.

6. I am almost metrosexual when it comes to care of my hands and nails. You're a musician who's hands are like an artist's paint brush. Why not treat them sacred? I keep my nails as short as possible and manicured smooth and round. Even the cuticles to prevent hang nails and splits. I do this myself once a week. Any less and I can notice my nails and it affects my attack. The real trick is finding a proper lotion that doesn't leave them greasy.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you have Walgreens where you live their store brand men's hand and face lotion is great. Absorbs quickly, not greasy, smells nice (manly), and is 99 cents a tube.

8. PhantomApex

PhantomApex

May 9, 2012
    Ireland
    Maybe you should cut your nails like normal people..