1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerpicks for Bass players?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dangerdong, Oct 12, 2006.

1. dangerdong

dangerdong

Oct 12, 2006
    Do any of you know if such a thing as "fingerpicks" exist for bass players? I play classical guitar so there's no way I can get rid of my nails! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dangerdong

dangerdong

Oct 12, 2006
    I should rephrase my question. What I meant by "fingerpicks" is some type of solution to cover the nails on my picking hand. Right now I put bandaids over my pointer and middle finger so that I do not get that clicking sound.

3. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    The bassist in Godsmack uses fingerpicks. I don't know what his name is or what kind he uses, all I know is that he uses them. Says they're as good as a pick, but better because, after a while, you can start to feel the string through them again.

4. you could play with a rubber pick. get a finger like sound

5. tradition_2kill

tradition_2kill

Aug 9, 2006
    finger picks can work quite well for bass. someone does alot of this and i forget who?

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    If you get clicks when playing fingerstyle, it's likely because your fingernails are hitting the strings and you should clip them. I need to keep mine REAL short (as short as possible) in order to get rid of the click.

7. umm poop. did you read his post i mean it was only two lines... kinda hard to miss...

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Err... somehow I read his 2nd post instead of his first.

Do you really need fingernails for classical? My old chem professor said he plays with short fingernails (i.e. clipped always)

Have you tried wearing gloves? Preferrebly one white and one black?

9. MagicianMan

MagicianMan

Aug 2, 2006
    Vermont
    Have you ever seen Dominique DiPiazza?

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  11. You can probably trim your nails a lot more than you think without making them unusable for the guitar.

12. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    As has already been said, Robbie Merrill (from Godsmack) uses them (Dunlop Clear “D” fingerpicks) and says that once he got used to them, it's like they're not even there.

I've tried them, because I like the idea of playing fingerstyle with the consistency of a pick, but didn't like them. To me, they felt clumsy and awkward. Maybe if I took several weeks of playing exclusively with them on I'd get used to them, but I don't have that kind of patience :p .

13. dirkbasser

dirkbasser

Jul 28, 2010
    i've been playing bass for about 7 years now, and i was kinda playing off and on for a while, so i'd lose my calisus, and i kept getting blisters on my fingers, well i figuered why not use picks...i'm not one for strumming and i like the mobility i get from using my fingers, so i just take a hard pick, and cut it in half...then tape each half to my fingers with a small peice of duct tape or something...even the clear tape works alright, but that my help you out, i know it works for me

14. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    I would suggest cloth tape instead. Use that for some classical instruments with tortoiseshell picks.

15. themass

themass

Feb 13, 2010
    NH
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I play acoustic fingerstyle guitar first, and bass occasionally. I need pretty long nails for guitar, but I hate the clicking when i play bass. I've yet to come up with a satisfactory solution.

16. Captain Beefheart's bassists sued banjo finger picks.

17. Third Basser

Third Basser

Jul 6, 2010
    I knew a bassist who used filed down fake fingernails (like Lee Press-On Nails) glued on with crazy glue. worked very well

18. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Play with the thumb maybe? Angled in line with the strings, you'd get a warm sound while keeping the nail long.

19. TowerGuy

TowerGuy

Jul 21, 2010
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021