Fingerprints!! Do you still have 'em ???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MexBass, Dec 3, 2004.

1. MexBass

Jun 17, 2004
    I was looking at my fingers and noticed the gorwing calluses on them that are making them hard and smooth. I was wondering, do you, more experienced players, still have fingerprints ?? or have they been erased or horribly disfigured ???
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've got a permanent groove (no pun intended) on the end of my 1st and 2nd fingers... ouch!!
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    2 months playing...

hardness on index finger, but no real calus on either of my 2 playing fingers...
  4. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    you know how many times my double bass techer and i have debated this topic. i think there is still a faint difference in your skins surface there its not completly free of fingerprints
  5. Fingerprints are an incoded part of one's DNA as we all know, so cells in your finger that have died are supposedly eventually replaced. But callouses are basically an accumulation of near dead or dead skin cells, I could see the reasoning of how an excessive amount of callouse could cover up fingerprints, but I don't believe it. From looking at my own fingers, I notice that the grooves on my fingers are actually more distinct except for in patches of torn skin where I see faint fingerprint lines. Also, the metalic luster imprinted on my fingers from the strings on my BG and UB further outline the grooves.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My fingers have not callused... But, I do have little string indents on my right hand fingertips.. They just stay there.
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've got no callus' and I still have my fingerprints. Then again, I've been using either flatwounds or nylonwounds since day one.
  8. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I've got callouses on every finger on my hands from spider crawl picking and fast jazz basslines. I don't think that it can block off your fingerprints though.

But I'm not a scientist
  9. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    ive got callouses on all my fingers and i think the dude that posted this is planning a bank job or something like that.
  10. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    If that's the case, he could try burning his fingerprints. I don't know if it would work, though. Have you considered gloves?? :smug:
  11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    And i still have my figer prints! Been playing 20 years and probably arrested 10 times through out that time period! Never got away with the crime because i still have the damn finger prints! lol Your fingers will learn to cope with this problem called bass playing and they will start to just get hard!
  12. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I hold a securities license (stock broker) and have had to get fingerprinted many times. More than once the finger print person has had to re-print me because of grooves and creases in my fingers. I think on my right hand - the picking fingers' fingerprint ridges aren't quite as deep as the other fingers.