Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingers are hurtin man

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xBassChick420x, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Anyone got a suggestion on how to help thumb pain? man after playing for a while they start to hurt really bad - and I know they'll calluse after a while but any suggestions on how to deal with it till then? Thanks guys - my IM is ClockworkedChaos. Peace - Missy

2. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Thumb pain or finger pain? Are you talking about slapping? Your fretting thumb should never hurt, unless you're using it wrong. Are you using your thumb and index finger put together for strumming chords? I do this and it doesn't hurt very much:confused:

3. Actually, the fretting thumb can hurt, even in a good technique setting. From pivoting on the thumb, right at the joint you can get some pain. It used to happen to me every now and then and it wasnt bad, but this past weekend when I busted out the P again for band practice, afterwards, my thumb was KILLIN' me. It's somethin you'll get used to though, I don't know of any surefire ways to get around it. Just be careful of washin your hands immediately before or immediately after playin, the moisture is not friends with my callouses.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    uh, not really GI type instruction, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: Thumb pain on the frettign pain is bad period. Mine hurt for awhile when i first started, but then I got a teacher that showed me how to do it right I can play for hours pain-free. Basically, if Something's hurting, your doing something wrong.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For left hand technique, i believe you shouldn't put much pressure on the next using your thumb, if any at all. Try playing without your left hand thumb for a while, then try just using your thumb as a guide on the back of the neck that is directly under the string you are playing on.

7. Then how do you get enough leverage for the pressure that you need to place on the frets? I try no left-hand thumb, but it seems I have to press the bass into my body with my right palm-heel and use my left shoulder and back to pull the neck. This way I can reduce buzzing.
    Is this what you're supposed to do? Also, I notice I have less agility and speed this way.

Man, i can't stand waiting for my first lesson...