1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingers getting caught up on strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by EricMordus, Aug 9, 2018.

1. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Anyone have this happen?
    Your'e plucking away and one of your fingers gets stuck on a string mid pluck throwing you off?

How do you prevent this? seems to happen far too often

2. You might want to post this in the "Technique" section.

I don't think what you're experiencing is a string issue as such.

Aqualung60 and Slater like this.
  3. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    agreed

4. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Try for a lighter touch and consider using the floating thumb method.

pacojas and basscapes like this.
  5. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    No. Just how hard are you plucking and what is your plucking motion?

- John

6. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Admittedly I do pluck with a heavy finger, I need to work on that.

As far as I know its a rather normal motion

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I think what @JKos means by plucking motion is that you don't want to press the string down, towards the body of the bass, but rather pull it (gently) toward the next string in a motion that's parallel to the bass body. You really only need your "plucking" finger to brush across the top of the string. If you do this you'll be able to play faster and more cleanly, and your fingers will never get stuck between strings.

Ewo, FenderB, pacojas and 1 other person like this.
  8. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I do think I naturally use that technique, the problem I'm having is my fingertip literally getting "stuck" on the string mid pluck

9. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    LOL, I understand what your'e saying, I am actually (for the first time in around 30 years of playing) starting proper bass lessons & I'm sure my technique is crap, makeshift as it is. I'm 100% self taught, which isn't the best thing apparently, LOL

Socobass likes this.
  10. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    What type of strings are you using?

- John

11. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    DR Fat Beams

12. Could be a setup issue too. Are your strings properly radiused to match the radius of your fretboard?

13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    nose grease

pacojas likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Practice, but a good setup can also help.

Seanto, lexefx and pacojas like this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    practice - and perhaps don't dig so far in between your strings when you play them.

16. Only when Im really digging ig does this happen

17. I don't pluck gently unless I want a soft tone, which I'm not really generally into. I do sometimes put lip balm on my fingertips before playing so I don't grind off my callouses. If I don't and my hands are dry sometimes my fingers get caught at the edge of the callous. I try to use the tip of my finger even if I'm playing aggressively.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If it hurts when you hammer your hand, don't hammer your hand.

St_G, Lobster11 and Nashrakh like this.
  19. donotfret

donotfret

Jun 11, 2018
    Where are you plucking? In my experience there is a big difference between close to the bridge and up the neck. I move between these extremes to get different sounds, but I've found that every position takes a certain amount of ongoing practice. Close to the bridge it can be almost painful, so it's about building up and maintaining the chops, whereas higher up things are a bit on the floppy end and it takes some exercise to achieve precision. For both I can imagine getting stuck in fast passages if I haven't done it in a while.

Another thing worth looking into is your action. Maybe there is room for improvement there.

Bassbeater likes this.
  20. the slug

the slug man, why the long face Supporting Member

May 21, 2014
    I use fatbeams on a couple of my basses. I have found that occasionally a set will be a little more bite than others. sometimes almost sticky. a good cleaning usually takes care of it. a little nose or forehead oil helps too.