Fingers getting caught

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Try wearing a glove.

2. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I hope so, thank you. :)

Generally I like a lighter touch, but sometimes going a little bit harder, which I've always done without problem, is required. YMMV. It's just about expression - not in a 'hey I'm Flea, look at me jump around like a nude maniac!' :D

I don't have the energy for that anyway!

I'm not sure how I'd describe my ideal tone as right now Im using a cheap guitar practice amp. So tone isn't really a priority other than the basics: clear notes plucked smoothly. I don't generally favour a harsh attack anyway. I enjoy fingerstyle because I like a smoother feel directly in physical contact with the bass. Not much of an answer, but I don't have anything better. Sometimes I might play a little harder, but not much at all, I never really dig in and 'grab' the strings. If I do play heavier it's probably more like Steve Harris. Or I'll use a plectrum, but that isn't my primary style (I enjoy it nonetheless because...Chris Squire).

3. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I have never tried flats. Would be tempted to experiment, they do seem popular currently. But strings aren't cheap enough for me to just experiment unfortunately. Who knows, they may really favour my style :D

It doesn't seem to be any particular run,

Very possibly it's getting used to the new bass, but I can't point to any specific conscious feeling of discomfort because of it. It's a lighter instrument and I don't otherwise feel inhibited playing it.

Without major surgery :D how would one acquire a ramp? Are they glued or bolted onto the body?

4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    p

Thinking about it while I have mornings clarity. You might concentrate on the angle in which you play the strings. I’m thinking if you’re right on top and pluck, you might be putting your finger in ever so slightly too far. Adjusting to come in at a slight angle could fix it.
    Of course your tone will change a bit with teqnique changes.
    Try pluck above the neck instead of the body. You should be able to do both.
    Check some videos and examine the plucking hand position of various players. You should see how you are doing it differently and use the videos as a test bed guide.

Be logical, relaxed and don’t give up. It could take a month or so till it’s natural to you.
    Best of luck again. I know you can fix it. We’re all rooting for you.
    Report back on the solution once found and implemented.
    A ramp is a crutch in my opinion. I wouldn’t recommend it for a beginners but your take may be different and that’s fine.

wishface likes this.
  5. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    My strings are about 3mm off the back pickup (humbucker) and about 2mm off the 17th fret.

Maybe that's too high, though i don't think i can lower it without buzz

6. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks you

I have some polystyrene packaging from the box my bass came in, I might fashion a cheap ramp and gaffer tape it on just to see. If the problem persists then it's nothing to do with string height.

The way my hand angles is a bit like Geddy Lee where there is a gentle angle toward the headstock along the picking finger(s). The opposite of the likes of Berlin or Pattitucci (which is why I briefly mentioned them above).

Again it's entirely possible I play too hard, I can and do work on that, but I find when I play certain things, or at certain tempos, the fingers tend to dig in a little more.

7. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    upload_2019-8-25_8-55-37.jpeg

Slightly off topic, but @bassgrackle that is the first ramp that I have ever found visually appealing. I am usually put off by how ramps interfere with the visual lines of the bass, but someone did an outstanding job on yours. That is absolutely beautiful!

8. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    1D9CBF76-2E2D-40A8-8131-60F2AC13B3E6.jpeg

Thank you, we work to make them part of the bass. Mike of MTD is a master craftsman and when I schedule a build with him we know from the start that a ramp will be part of the build. In the case where the bass was build and then we wanted to add one it’s a lot harder. Such as these two.

VoodooJazz likes this.
  9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I thought this thread was going to be about @two fingers getting arrested.

two fingers and Stumbo like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Where is Twofie, anyways?

two fingers likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm hiding from the man.
    tenor-2.gif

Stumbo, rufus.K and SteveCS like this.
  12. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    They are not hard to construct, you don't have to be as precise as I was.

Here is a couple of youtube video that shows other approaches...

This one has two parts:

I hope this helps... The ramp I built followed the contour of the pickups (as requested by the client), not that I think adding a radius to the ramp would be a bad thing.

I used double stick tape; two 1/4" strips from pickup to pickup. one strip on the bass side of the (underside of) the ramp and one strip one the treble side. worked perfectly. It doesn't take much.

Again, YMMV

Moonshine :bassist:

wishface likes this.
  13. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks, but I don't really have the tools for that. I'll try gaffer taping a piece of polystyrene, but I don't have the materials or the tools for this right now.

Hopefully i won't need one

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  14. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    To further explain: it feels like the strings are too high at the point of plucking, even though I know they aren't and are no higher than I'm used to. They also feel dry, "raspy" - grabby, as somone has said. These are not the same strings the bass came with which, according to the manufacturer are 45-105 guage. THe ones I've got on are the same sets I usually buy but 40-100. Both sets roundwound (ive never played any other type). Perhaps they were both a duff set of strings. That does seem unlikely however.

This is starting to freak me out at this point. I should be settling in with this bass and I'm not sure what the issue is.

15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I don't find them grabby at all.

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Use guitar polish to clean the strings. I always clean mine before and after playing.

17. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Are other any decent alternatives using regular/household items, rather than specific stuff you can only get from a music shop or online?

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Try using an emory board on your finger tips to gently smooth out any callouses that may get hungup.

wishface likes this.
  19. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Perhaps its the weather. We're have a heatwave right now and I find that my left hand is sticking to the back of the neck when I get a bit sweaty when playing.

This is all a bit disconcerting. I have a nice new bass and have dedicated myself to practicing and this silly nonsense is inhibiting me. Perhaps it is the callouses. Thanks

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021