Fingers getting caught

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Aug 23, 2019.

1. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I see nothing major wrong. I think you you need to take a step back, slow down and in time you’ll get used to the bass and stop getting caught up.

LBS-bass, wishface and SLO Surfer like this.
  2. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Are there any good exercises that people can recommend that might help address this?

3. Yes, and it’s too easy for some to accept: play a variety* of scales, play s-l-o-w-l-y and correctly. Do not play faster until you’re playing proficiently at slow tempo.

*e.g. Major, minor (natural, harmonic, melodic), chromatic, whole tone.

bbh, LBS-bass and SLO Surfer like this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's not about the exercises. It's about approaching them with the right attitude, with focus and discipline, and setting higher standards.

Playing an exercise doesn't end with putting the right notes in the right order - that should be your starting point...

Ask yourself what is the purpose of this exercise for me, right here, right now? If it's focussed on dynamics, don't treat it as a speed test. If it's focussed on a given articulation, say staccato or difficult rhythms with lots of rests, focus on coming off cleanly and playing the rests to their full time value.

Wax On, Wax Off...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  5. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Was tinkering with my old bass. It's much much heavier than the one I'm using right now. A jazz style model called (or built by, I'm unclear) a "revelation". I've no idea how heavy a real jazz is, but this one's a monster. Huge fat neck. 21 fret neck that feels wider but the measurements seem the same. Maybe my fingers are compensating for the neck and weight.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Try flat wound strings.

7. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I would love to. I've no real interest in slap so I don't particularly need rounds. Is there a reason they are more expensive than rounds?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Good question. Maybe more steel?

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Because they last so long... Years... Decades... They don't wear out so they don't get changed...

10. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    No idea, i don't know much about flats at all.

11. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    but how long do they retain their brightness?

12. Never

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I use chromes on my fretless basses. New, the tone has a 'sheen' that's not the 'zing' of a round but is quite lively for a flat. After a few hours playing that fades a little and the real mid-focussed tone comes to the fore. From that point on they just get better and better. There is always a bit of top there if you want it.

14. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I think with this guy it’s about techniques or mechanics. Slow down more than you’d like to and using a metrenome should be helpful in this instance. Be patient, speed will come within a month or 2 if you practice correctly. Pretty much what a lot of others are saying so I repeat, slow down!

SteveCS likes this.
  15. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    This happens irrespective of how fast I play though

16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Hi wishface, normal issue is wrist angle, and lack of movement due to the fingers leading the hand, therefore the wrist, and therefore the forearm, and as such the elbow.

OK, let me explain that.

If you lead from the elbow, you move your elbow up and down to move the foream up and down.
    This in return movers the hand which then moves the fingers.

So the finger movement is independent of the actual positioning of the hand.

So imaging if you alternate your fingers to play the G string and then lift off the strings, but keep alternating the fingers...do not stop the alternating
    Then lower the fingers back to the A string and you will start playing again.

So the fingers did not move the hands, the forearm did.
    All the fingers do is make the conection with the strings and retain the angle of attack.
    All the forearm does is move the hand to the correct position to allow the fingers to contact the desired strings.
    The elbow is the rudder so to speak, slight movement of the elbow is all that is needed to move the fingers across the strings.

If the fingers lead and the forearm/elbow does not move then the wrist must flex.
    If the wrist flexes it will change the angle of attack.
    So if playing on the G string and you play across the D, the A to the E then the wrist angle has to increase to move the fingers to the strings, the angle gets steeper paying G-E or B and it gets flatter as it plays the other way....so the parameters are changing.

In moving the forearm the attck is the same for each string as the wrist does not need to flex.

Checkout this link, see how the action of where the drill is moved to has nothing to do with the actual hitting the strings, the rotary movement (see that as your fingers alternating) has nothing to do with the placing of the drill (see that as your hand)..it is still the forearm controling each senario i present.
    So each part has a job but work together to make an single action....plucking the string required.

Stumbo likes this.
  17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It could have been suggested, but stop raking and instead practice always alternating.

18. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    The M2 is probably hanging a little differently on your body, which has changed the angle that the strings sit while in playing position. Tilt/rotate your hand accordingly, and it'll probably sort itself out.

19. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Can you play at 60 bpm? I would consider that a slowed down speed, about the speed on the video. I’m with on this till the end.

20. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Yes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021